Monday, August 31, 2009

Diverse Dinner Party or Not?

This past Friday night I had the joy of hosting a dinner party for some of my closest friends.  I was intrigued when one of the attendees complimented me on the diversity represented by the attendees. I didn't think it was that diverse of a crowd so I asked her how she meant...

She saw:
1 Woman in her early 20s, looking to figure things out, college student
1 Lesbian with her stuff together who's spent her life fighting to get ahead - well employed, mother, graduate student and so on
1 Nicaraguan with little in common with anyone else at the table
1 well employed guy in his late 20s employed in the study of brain waves
1 host in her late 20s with a professional job at a non-profit

I saw:
4 white folks educated by the same university, 3 of which had the same major - at least part of the time
1 boyfriend from Nicaragua

Then I started thinking about all the ways this group of five could be divided based on religion, income, family, gender and so on.  How we can be divided is not important though, so....

My thought process then drifted to questions about what diversity means, and how we see diversity and how our own backgrounds affect our ability to see diversity.  To me, my friends are my friends and I see much more what we have in common than I see our differences.  When I bring people together, I focus on what people have in common, how people can be included and what people can gain by getting to know one another. 

When I think of diversity, perhaps because of my employment, I think specifically of minorities based on ethnic background or country of origin.  I rarely think of the actual diversity in our life experiences, which can be just as important - especially for expanding one's mind! 

So, was my dinner party diverse, or not?
Comments welcome, as always!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    What a wonderful view of human difference. Thank you for this! It is a great mind opener for many people!

    Brian Moore
    http://transformdiverseteams.blogspot.com.
    brian@africa-dreams.com

    ReplyDelete